Lemon Myrtle Dressing
1 fresh red chilli, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp coriander root, finely diced
1 tbsp finely chopped palm sugar*
1 tbsp lemon myrtle oil
300g quality boneless beef steak, at room temperature
Salt and pepper, to taste
60g mixed leaf lettuce
1/3 cup coriander leaves
1/3 cup mint leaves
2 kaffir lime leaves, centre veins removed, finely shredded
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
1/2 continental cucumber, halved lengthways, thickly sliced diagonally
1/4 cup toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
Lemon myrtle powder, sliced fresh red chillis (garnish)
*Brown sugar may be used instead of palm sugar
- Add all dressing ingredients to a jar and shake vigorously to combine. Adjust lime, sugar and fish sauce to taste, then set aside to allow flavours to meld.
- Rub the steak with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat until screaming hot. Carefully place the steak into the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove the beef from the pan and set aside on a board to rest for 10 minutes, then slice the beef into thin strips.
- Place the remaining salad ingredients, along with the beef, into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with lemon myrtle powder and crushed peanuts. Serve immediately.