Time to fire up the BBQ and give these Lemon myrtle chicken skewers a go!
Dried lemon myrtle with its fresh, fragrant lemony flavour works so well as a marinade for meats, seafood and veggies, as well as in dressings and yoghurt for this delicious slaw to go with the skewers.
To add that extra pop of flavour to your dishes, a simple lemon myrtle salt does wonders to really enhance and carry the flavour through.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ tsp 1.6mm cut dried lemon myrtle
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
Zest from 1 lemon
2 cloves of garlic
Salt, fresh ground black pepper
4 large chicken thighs - skinless, boneless
2 tsp 1.6mm cut dried lemon myrtle
2 tbsp flake sea salt
1 medium zucchini
1 bulb fennel, fronds reserved
½ cup each picked mint & coriander
1 cup natural yoghurt
¼ tsp 1.6mm cut dried lemon myrtle
Juice of 1 lemon
Flatbread and extra lemon to serve
Soak 8 wooden skewers for at least 15 minutes in cold water or use metal ones if you have them.
- In a bowl combine the marinade ingredients, cut the chicken into 3cm pieces and add the chicken, some salt, pepper and mix to marinate well.
- Skewer the marinated chicken onto 8 wooden skewers, and if not cooking straight away, refrigerate up to 2 days, covered.
- Combine the 2 tsp lemon myrtle and 2 tbsp flake salt and store in an airtight container – you will need 1 tsp for this recipe.
- Preheat a BBQ or grill pan over a high heat. If in the fridge, remove the skewers 30 minutes before cooking.
- Cook the skewers for approx. 8 minutes, turning every 2 minutes or so, then rest and keep warm.
- While the skewers are cooking and resting, finely slice the zucchini into ‘noodles’ and place into a mixing bowl. Finely shave the fennel and add to the zucchini. Roughly chop the herbs and any fennel fonds and add to the veggies along with ½ cup of the yoghurt, lemon myrtle, lemon juice, season to taste and mix everything well.
- Serve with the chicken, flatbreads, salad with remaining yoghurt and a dusting of lemon myrtle salt.
Looking to try Lemon Myrtle? Request a sample.